1. According to a TED talk by David McCandless, most breakups are announced on Mondays, most breakups occur right before Spring Break and right before Christmas.
2. 15% of women in the US send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
3. A rabbi in L.A. invented speed dating in 1999 as an extension of a Jewish tradition of chaperoned get-togethers of Jewish singles.
4. 59% of people remain Facebook friends with an ex after they’ve broken up, according to a YourTango survey
5. The phrase “hook-up” was first used in Nena and George O’Neill’s 1972 tract, Open Marriage
6. The word ‘polyamory’ originated in the 1990s in two very different contexts. It was used in the description of a neo-pagan inspired workshop on relationships in 1990 and arose as a neologism used to create a mailing list in 1991.
7. Broken heart syndrome, or stress cardiomyopathy, consists in a weakening of the heart muscles due to the unexpected death of a loved one or an unexpected breakup.
8. Emotional pain of the sort experienced after an unexpected breakup is a kind of pre-stress cardiomyopathy. When the body bombards the heart and muscles with stress chemicals, the cells of the heart “freeze” and the muscles “tense up”. This leads to a release of pain chemicals, which then travel through nocireceptor fibers to the spinal cord and then the brain. Finally, this triggers a pain sensation.
9. The world’s youngest person to give birth to a child was five years old
10. A relationships survey conducted by Yahoo! Personals discovered that 50 percent of singles seriously consider changing their relationship status between Christmas and Valentine’s Day.
11. According to a study from Loyola University, Facebook is blamed for 1 in 5 divorces, and it’s the primary source of online evidence.
12. 43 percent of marriages break up within 15 years
13. Condoms were invented in Egypt 3000 BC and were probably made of animal hide.
14. The greatest number of children one woman had was 69
15. According to Marshall Miller and Dorian Solot, about 1% of women can achieve orgasm through manual stimulation of their nipples. (I Love Female Orgasm: An Extraordinary Orgasm Guide)
16. In Colorado, it is illegal for a man to kiss a woman while she is asleep, according to www.realpolice.net.
17. The clitoris is much larger than people think, about four inches.
18. The world’s oldest prostitute is 82 years old
19. Lisa Sparks holds the world record for having had intercourse with most men in one day: 919 men.
20. A woman once carried a baby for 46 years. The baby calcified inside her and a doctor discovered the stone baby inside the woman when she was 75 years old.